when the lights go out/Power Grid Test

Discussion in 'Disaster Survival' started by wally, Sep 7, 2013.

1. wally

wally Master Poo-bah

2. 101matt

101matt Master Poo-bah

It is only speculation!
    anyone else have a report on it?

November is too cold in NY to have the test , many will freeze . So don't know about it being tested than ...
  3. warrior7r

warrior7r Well-Known Member

GridEx II is scheduled for November 13th and 14th it will not include an actual shutting down of any part of the grid and is held as a training exercise along the same lines as the Great American Shake Out national earthquake exercise held in Oct annually scheduled this year for Oct 17th
  4. OhDona

OhDona Grand Poo-bah

Power Grid Drill

I read an article in the NY Times, and from some other "credible" sources, too, saying there will be large tests across the nation on the power grid(s) to test for national readiness. Has anyone else heard about this? The tests are planned November 11-13. The article stated that the shut downs will be longer term than any other tests they've done. I couldn't find any references as to which grids will be down. I'm preparing just in case ours is on the list. If anyone finds an article or reference for this, please post it. (I'm very technically challenged.) Thanks!
  5. DawnK

DawnK Grand Poo-bah

I didn't hear this, so I am going to read around and see if I see anything. I can't imagine they would do that for 2 days just as a test. But who knows, I never know anymore what to expect from the Gov or anyone else for that matter LOL
    desert rat likes this.
  6. DawnK

DawnK Grand Poo-bah

7. Regulator5

Regulator5 Guide Staff Member

From my understanding, they are not supposed to actually turn the grid off, but all gov't agencies and other major players (power stations, etc) will go into "disaster management mode" to check their plans and the feasibility of their plans.

I'm not 100% sure this is the case but believe that was what I read.
  8. DawnK

DawnK Grand Poo-bah

yes I believe so too after viewing several articles on this. I just have to wonder though, what would happen if they actually did totally shut down the grid for 2 or 3 days across the whole US.
  9. Regulator5

Panic...lol.

I believe they won't allow (if they are only planning a test) the grid to go down that long just to keep their tax revenues coming. If the grid went down and people couldn't work and businesses couldn't operate.... the lost revenues would cripple the already broke and indebted gov'ts from local all the way to king george. They are more concerned with keeping their honeypot filled than having a workable solution to this threat from several hazards. JMO
  10. shawn1980

shawn1980 Moderator

Is this supposed to take place through the whole US? I thought it was only going to be in Fema zone 3 on the east coast. It will be interesting to see if it still happens with the government shutdown
  11. Regulator5

I think the power grid test is nation wide. I believe it will be more a "head shed" event, where they will call or use a computer to simulate a given issue at each location, grid sunstructure, and the engineers and emergency managers will have to call in or use a computer based program to show/say what they are doing to correct it.

They can actually LAN line several computers with no outside connectivity and run the entire test from an office(building) in one location. It would just be a SIM style game.
  12. wally

wally Master Poo-bah

yes in NOV,i posted this a couple weeks ago....
  13. cluless

cluless Well-Known Member

The way the computer systems are working for obumma care.
    Does anyone believe that they can properly use a program of their own making and not screw things up? Really?
    If there is no answer to the debt problem by then, do you think this ever caring most generous president could pass up a chance to punish the American people to become the true savior?
    Be prepared !
  14. desert rat

desert rat Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a show called "War Games" years ago? The what if scenario? I believe Matthew Broderick was in it. He'd loaded a program and the computers and people of DEFCOM thought it was real.....I'm like cluless here, best be prepared. I'm sure it is a intended simulation of grid down though. Just me........
  15. OhDona

OhDona Grand Poo-bah

My plan is to prepare as best I can in case it is a large event; I've thought that maybe only some of the large grids may be impacted, but I haven't been able to find any information on that. What I think is just brilliant (for us) is that's the week we'll probably be up North at our BOL pouring the foundation. We don't have any electricity yet; just the generator, so we'll be sure to have plenty of fuel. And food. And a hand pump for the well.
    Regulator5 likes this.
  16. Regulator5

DR, you remember correctly.

Gov't shutdown, trucker strike, debt ceilling, grid down exercise...... We have lot to be prepared for just due to king george.
  17. rezmut

rezmut Master Poo-bah

Unless you live in town,not having electric is pretty commen here-guess if they do shut it down,it'll just even everybody out.lol(we even have a part on the edge of Tuba City with no power)
  18. cluless

I just received a very interesting phone call. I was asked if I knew anything about the Massachusetts National guard dumping fuel stocks.
    An individual suggested that they have been hauling #6 heating oil, Non taxed diesel fuel and jp4 from various military site here in Ma.
    The company is a reclamation company, the kind that hauls away bad or contaminated fuel spills and the like.
    However, he is saying this stuff is perfectly good.
    Anybody else hearing any stories out there like this?
    Lights go out, Guard has no fuel. Rumor has it un troops in Pa.
    What are the chances???????
  19. Regulator5

I haven't seen or heard anything myself cluless. Could it be a move to get fuel for other agencies if the trucker strike occurs? That will/can hamper fuel supplies.
  20. cluless

I could believe that except these pickups are being hauled back to the company for disposal.
    Building heating oil? Diesel I can understand to disable ground transportation. Why jp4?
    There are two reserve bases that have these. One has F-15's the other prvides direct sand box support with C-5's.
    Don't we work hard enough to provide the extorted dollars we send these crooks that they shouldn't be flushing this fuel away.
    This has been happening for a couple of months.