Getting the family on board

Discussion in 'General Prepping' started by tinderwolf17, Jan 23, 2013.

1. tinderwolf17

tinderwolf17 Moderator

So there has been some discussion on how to get your family on board with "prepping" because when the issue is brought up to them they are resistant. Like most people when something is brought to their attention that they never thought of before it can be frightening, confusing, furstrating so they tend to ignore it due to the comfort zone feeling. I thought I would share my experiances and the steps I take to keep doing what i'm doing without much resistance.
    Step 1.
    Talk about your concerns (have a strategy)
    Even if you are concerned that yellowstone park is going to blow up next week or aliens are going to attack I do no suggest that this is how you get the ball rolling. It is too big of a topic to wrap one's head around, is very scary and will make you look "crazy." A few years back we had a storm roll through that knocked out power for almost a week. This is what I brought up to justify why I wanted to start keeping certain supplies on hands so that life wouldn't be so hard when it happened again. If you bring up situations that are very likely to happen to is much more reasonable to understand (there are plenty of examples in recent times to draw from, Sandy, Katrina, social shootings, etc.)
    Step 2. Go Slow
    Start off slow in buying your preps so it is not such a shock to their perception of the situation, and to your pocketbook. Its easier to accept if you come home with a first aid kit and a few days supply of food then a bunch of battle rifles, and a pallet of freeze dried food.
    Step 3.Teach them what they want to know, when they want to know it.
    There are certain things that my wife is interested in when it comes to this stuff and certain things she definitly is not interested in. Start off with what they want to know first, this will help them get involved in the prepping and feel like they are contributing. After this is established, I told my wife, "i know you don't like such and such but I would like to teach you a bit about it." This eased her into the topic and it also allowed us to spend more time together so she was more open to it.
    Step 4. DON'T BE DEFENSIVE!
    I went through a VERY short period where i basically told my wife i didn't care what she thought I was going to do and buy what i thought we needed. Didn't go well. Not only does this make you a jerk, but it pushes them away from the want of learning and being apart of the project.
    Step 5. Make it fun, not prepping
    Being in a state of fear all the time is not fun nor healthy. Lucky for me I have kids so it helps me to remember to make things fun (not just for them but for me as well) I take the kids on walks and collect little items from nature. Take them camping, fishing, hunting anything you can think of to teach them skills in a non-fearful way that is enjoyable for everyone involved. Even scavenager hunts can be very educational.
    Step 6. Continue with confidence.
    There is going to be a point where family members are tired of contributing or learning about this process. That is ok. Don't force them. Just continue what you are doing with confidence which will show them you are commited to them and the things that are for their saftey and well being.
    Step 7. DON'T PUSH THEM.
    Lastly don't push them into anything, unless you are pushing them into the car to get out of town.
    Hope this helps. This may not be the best list of how to go about this process but it is what worked, and continues to work for me.
  2. NavyVet_77

NavyVet_77 Master Poo-bah

my wife is pretty much on the same page. My mother is awake. Last summer she even built and used her own solar oven. im quite sure her other preps are meek, but we can deal with that. The lil sister im sure is totally oblivious to all, as she is very engrossed by her new career.

My older brother (with a family of 5) is aware, but not awake. he is not a Liberal but leans too far in that direction for us to have a productive conversation about things. i believe at one time he said he had some extra food stores and water put away. But doesnt own a firearm. He seems perfectly content riding the shadey end of the fence. I cant understand how he could acknowledge the need to prep but yet be so stupid about Firearms ? My way of thinking says the 2 go hand in hand.

Ive discussed this issue with my mother asking her how to get him onboard. We have tried from several different angles and seems he just refuses to acknowledge things we here take as being common sense. Recently my mothers response was " im afraid we'll just have to pick them up (literally and figuratively) when it all goes to hell." i would be willing to do that... except im more than 400miles from them. And in a really bad situation, they may as well be on the moon.

Lil sister will very likely run to momma, just because she wouldnt know what else to do.
    This is one obvious drawback for the immediate family being so scattered.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  3. tinderwolf17

tinderwolf17 Moderator

glad to hear that some are onboard
  4. Regulator5

Regulator5 Guide Staff Member

Tinder, great thread.

Navy, being separated definitely makes it hard (I have a brother 1300 miles away). My 2 sisters have woken up to the need for natural disasters. My Mom argued about everything until I showed her a few articles and printed some commentary from the forums. She always had extra food and water, alternate heat, etc but didn't want labeled as a "prepper". I think she understands the difference between "prepping" and the doomsday crowd now.

I've commented at the trouble I had to get my wife on board. I cheated and talked to my MIL (Mom In Law) about it and she's old school and always has supplies for storms, so she got on board and even visited some sites to read and observe. She helped open my wife's eyes where I couldn't. Recent events also helped push her more on board. I'm still not sure exactly which incident "woke" her up, but I no longer get the "we'll just ride it out" or "I don't need to know that, I have you" comments. She's also started a more proactive initiative to learn defensive processes and the tools needed for defense.
  5. tinderwolf17

tinderwolf17 Moderator

Reg great idea about getting your mother in law involved to help with your wife........never thought of that.
  6. Regulator5

Tinder, most people would call it "cheating". I just used the "improvise, adapt and overcome" philosphy.....lmao
  7. oregonchick

oregonchick Grand Poo-bah

Very, very well stated. And I'm glad it's working for you!
  8. tinderwolf17

tinderwolf17 Moderator

thanks guys for your input, sometimes it can be a struggle but if you believe in your mission, its all worth it.
  9. stallein

stallein New Member

You are doing such a great thing for your family, so a pat or two on the back. I noticed what my kids see me eating they eat. They now choose lemon ice water over juice, cucumbers and hummus, string cheese, salads, fruit, and of course peanuts. So now I just buy more of that stuff and quit buying the high fat and high calorie snacks. Last night I made them apple onion chicken and they asked for 2nds. I was like really? lol. So your kids may gripe now but they will appreciate the healthy habits that you taught them as kids. That they keep with them as adults. Also my kids enjoy doing races with me, so get them involved with your workout. We do yoga together 3 days a week.
  10. Regulator5

Good post stallein and welcome to the family here.

Getting kids used to eating "non-normal" food young is imperative if you plan on living off the land.
  11. tinderwolf17

tinderwolf17 Moderator

set a good example and they will follow, good job sir.
  12. oregonchick

My cousin and his wife noticed that they had gained some weight after their youngest daughter was born, and that they were doing lots of snacking on junk foods, watching TV, etc., which is what their oldest daughter had already come to enjoy as her favorite things. Rather than think about losing X pounds or trying to force everyone to enjoy working out, they decided they needed to find reasons to be active and eat well. So at first it was going to local farms to pick produce or make cider and cooking up their finds as a family. And then it was lots of walks in parks and playing with the dog. The more they were outside, the more they wanted to do fun outdoors stuff together, and this summer, they went on a road trip every other weekend to some great spot in the state, hiking several miles every day. We're talking taking trails to water falls, summiting the South Sister, etc. Even their non-road trip weekends were spent playing outdoors. The end result: Their whole family is in great shape, they are healthy and happy from spending time in nature, and they genuinely enjoy being together.
  13. oregonchick

Just came across this article (via something on Pinterest) and it speaks DIRECTLY to the question raised by this thread. It's called Five Ways to Better Convince Your Loved Ones to Prepare, and is long, but filled with common sense:

Five Ways to Better Convince Your Loved Ones |

Thought I'd share it with everyone!